5 Steps for the Perfect Sunday.
Soundtrack: Rue Des Cascades, Yann Tiersen (2001)
“Oh dear Sunday, I want to sleep in your arms and have fun day” - Santosh Kalwar. Sunday is a sacred day, one that we should cherish and truly enjoy with the people we love in order to rest, reset and feel full of happiness, ready for the week ahead.
Here is a little list of simple steps I´ve learnt from both my beautiful and wise grandmothers - 1 very English and 1 extremely Irish, my mum, my friends and myself.
1. Sunday strolls. Sunday is the perfect day for a relaxed walk to enjoy the calm and relaxed atmosphere in the air, it will help build up a great appetite and clear the head.
2. Roast dinner. I´m a Yorkshire girl from the north east of England where a roast dinner goes hand-in-hand with Sunday. I like to roast an Organic chicken stuffed with lemon laid on a bed of garlic, sweet potato and carrots and serve with homemade gravy and green peas. Maybe it´s the only chance you will get in the whole week to make yourself and your family a homemade, nutritious meal - ensure it´s a good one made with love.
3. Get cosy. Now Autumn is here I like to slip into what I call a ´batty English ladies´outfit on Sundays which consists of mismatched spotty socks with holes in, oriental style slippers and bundles of knitwear and a messy top-knot. Unfortunately I don´t wear glasses but you get the picture.
4. Film. After dinner it´s always nice to curl up on the sofa and watch a film. I am the biggest sucker in the World for classic musicals and could watch Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music and Annie every Sunday for the rest of my life and never get bored for a moment. Why? Because they are full of hope and warmth and you are what you absorb so choose what you watch wisely.
5. Rest. Sunday is a day of rest so don´t feel guilty if you leave the pots, have a siesta and do very little all day. Rest makes you stronger AND happier AND more beautiful.