Abuela Chicote shares her secrets for making the perfect Spanish tortilla
They are the reason my guests keep returning to Bilbao, they are what drag me out of bed on the greyest of mornings and what keep my toddler round and happy - the famous Spanish tortilla with its mushy soft centre, salty sweet exterior and melt in the mouth ending.
Many of my guests have begged me for the secret family recipe, “Just how do they get them so soft in the middle?” my sister cried, “It’s just the consistency!” my best friend dribbled.
On day 2 of my January Daily Wellness Tips on Instagram I suggested eating more eggs due to their egg-ceptional nutritional value to which journalist, Toni Jones who recently visited us here on a Bilbao Yoga Retreats, wrote a plea for the family recipe. I then knew it was high time I put on my sweetest Spanish accent and asked Abuela Chicote (Bella’s grandma) to reveal those soft, squishy secrets that are sending us all crazy with desire.
Here you have, from the lady herself…
Tortilla Normal (eggs, potato and onion) by Abuela Chicote.
1. You must have good eggs - eggs from chickens that have been able to run wild and free, not in those horrible boxes - ban those boxed chickens, horrible things, and nice big potatoes.
4 eggs (2 eggs per potato)
2. Now, everybody wants to cook a tortilla that is soft inside but rarely many can achieve that. It’s not easy and it takes years of practice but remember - you must make a gordo (fat) tortilla to have a chance of keeping it mushy inside. Nobody wants a thin, dry, tortilla - so keep it fat.
3. Peel the potatoes and onion, chop them fine and fry lightly with lots of olive oil but don’t forget to remove excess oil.
4. Beat the eggs and pour them over the potato and onion in a separate bowl so the potato can absorb the egg for a few minutes. `
5. Now reheat some oil in a pan (the oil must be very hot) and add the mixture, turning when you see that the bottom is browning. This is the dangerous part but with a steady hand and a bit of practice you will have the perfect tortilla. There are no more secrets.
She makes it sound so simple but I think it will be another 10 years before I can crack this, what about you?