Hello, sorry I haven’t updated my blog for so long, it’s been a crazy few months with renovating a house (although I have to admit my part was purely a pinterest one), moving house, training a new puppy and now opening a 2nd yoga studio in the city (something I resisted for a long time and am still quite fearful of). But, we are all settled in our new home now and you can see some nice pictures above of the house, Otto and the city yoga studio, pre-hippy makeover, in Bilbao. The yoga studio you can see downstairs at home, in the 4th photo, is also the new location for our Bilbao Yoga Retreats and where Bella and I give free weekly classes to my friends at home which is just… lovely. The greatest thing about all of the above things is that I’ve finally been able to accept these changes in life without extreme weight loss, sleepless nights and anxiety.
Life is change; every day the weather changes, relationships change, YOU change, jobs change, your mind changes, feelings change. Change is natural, inevitable and something to be welcomed and not feared, as I’m slowly learning. After all, how can anything or anyone grow, develop and progress if we resist change?
I can’t think of one friend right now who isn’t going through big changes in life, be it moving house, changing jobs, relationships, moving countries or having a baby, so here are a few little tips for embracing change that I’ve found very useful…
1. Don’t be frightened of change, if you make a mistake as least you’ve learnt something and are not stuck in the same position as before.
2. You can’t hurry change. You might think you want something NOW but then your mind may change in one week, allow time and a period of deep reflection before you make any big changes in life.
3. Don’t wait too long to make changes. On one hand I recommend not rushing and forcing change, but on the other hand - don’t postpone your happiness. If you’re always saying “Oh, next month, next year, I’ll do this and do that”, recognise the cycle of resisting change you are talking yourself into.
4. Listen to your heart, not your mind, it’s the greatest teacher you’ll ever have.
5. Make positive changes to you life and resist any temptations to embark upon negative, destructive habits - whether this means beginning a new, unhealthy relationship or starting a new job that is going to cause you great stress, remember your main goal in life is happiness and follow that path with all your heart and soul.